Help Your Kids Be President for a Day!
The Library of Congress is inviting kids from around the country to take their turn at the Presidential Podium by submitting a one-minute video where they address either an important problem they would fix or something they would create to make our country a better place. Find the prompt here.
Why You Should Encourage Your Kids to Participate
- Public speaking is a great skill for kids to practice. It helps enhance confidence, increase imagination, vocabulary, critical thinking skills and develop listening, reading and writing.
- Kids and teens whose videos answer the presidential "speaking prompt" will have a chance for their video to be selected for airing at the YRC President's Day Open House at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. and posted here on Read.gov.
- The Librarian of Congress, Dr. Carla Hayden, will send a personal note recognizing those whose videos are selected.
How to Submit
- Video submissions must be posted to YouTube and the link submitted by email to email@example.com by midnight on Wednesday, February 15, 2017.
- Videos must address the speaking prompt and be under a minute.
- Children must be school-age (K-12) to participate.
- By participating you agree that the Library of Congress can show your video on its premises, including the Young Readers Center.
Resources to Help
- Teaching ideas using primary sources: photographs, audio recordings, films and texts from past Presidential speeches
- Bibliography of books about Presidents for kids K-12
What to do:
(see full instructions under Kids page)
- Record your presidential remarks
- Upload to YouTube
- Email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit by February 15, 2017
Make Your Own Presidential Podium
Download the official YRC Presidential Podium Seal
Contact the Young Readers Center
202-707-1950 | email@example.com
Young Readers Center
Thomas Jefferson Building
Room LJ G29 (ground floor)
10 First St. S.E.
Washington, DC 20540
Monday through Saturday
9 a.m. — 4:30 p.m.
(closed all federal holidays)